Our Stories

Interview with Dr.Luder Whitlock

QBeTjIuq.jpg

I am aware that the honorary doctorate from Knox Theological seminary is conferred based on the resolution by the board of faculties that consist of world renowned theologians. Could you please explain the reason behind the decision to award the degree?

The first is that it is recognition of the significant things that God is doing in parts of the world other than the west, and in particular singles out those whom God is using in unusual and dramatic ways. In our opinion this story of this church and development through years is quite extraordinary.
Thing that really appeals to me is the vision to carry the gospel to the all the world. So you now have 300 churches that were started by this church. I know some wonderful churches with great vision and ministry.
But this is quite extraordinary.
I’d say secondly, it is because of Dr. James Kenney’s commitment to 
gospel driven evangelism. And the things that appeals to us about this church is the same features found in Knox?the emphasis on the history of redemption and the power of Gospel.
One other thing people don’t mention much but I think is significant is: when I became a Christian, there were no Christians in my family. So my becoming d
f a minister was quite a dramatic change in my life. As I became serious about that, the thing that struck me was the growth of liberal theology in our country. And what damage it was doing! And I just couldn’t understand how people could not believe the message of the bible and want to change and still want to be in ministry. In 1960s the US had a period of great social upheaval. And there was lots of danger from left. I think for me growing up in 50s and going through 60s and I saw the dangers of communism and realized how important it was to have the patriotic spurit to understand our heritage and the work to protect that. It’s still a concern, but you see, we find a similar interest here. In true patriotism and anti-communism spirit, and alike, we think these are not something accidental but they fit the Christian community, and we find the real kinship with Dr. Park’s and this church.
The other thing that made difference for me, when I became Christian and thought about going to ministry, and I was in Presbyterian church that was primarily controlled by liberals. And I didn’t want to compromise with them, so I went to Miami and began to teach Cuban how to speak English, as they were leaving Cuba and coming to the US. To every person who came to my class I gave them a copy of the bible and told them how I was going to be a minister. And during those times, I realize the great need for the gospel mission work. When I did that with Cubans, it showed me the importance of sharing the gospel with people everywhere.
So that was a big interest in me. I think that‘s what resonates within Pyungkang Cheil Church.

bZCAwedbMztrw9yfLl8AbQEVaiO.jpg

What is your impression of Rev. Abraham Park?
My thoughts regarding Dr. Park are that he is an extremely unusual man of faith, when you think of his life experiences: coming from North Korea, and how he was on his own and had to make his own way, and his experiences in starting the church and hardship he went through and how all of that drew him close to God. What really strikes me the most is that most important in his life is sensitivity to the will of God and God’s guidance. He doesn’t want to do anything unless he believes that is what God wants him to do.
To me, that is great. I love it. You know 
bible says it is more important to please God than men. We have to make a choice to please God. And as I listen to the different stories about him, I see a man who is very dependent on God, and he doesn’t do anything that won’t please God.

ApiqpRhmYudnBK1qPkUJUqNHOY.jpg

What kind of bible is the New Geneva Study Bible which you gave as a gift to Rev. Park?
Geneva Bible was the bible of the puritans and reformed people. It was the bible that really shaped the first 200 years of the United States. There was no way to understand American history without seeing the significance of Geneva Bible. So for probably for 20 years, there were scholars who talked about the need of reformed study bibles, but no one did it, for it was a big project. And finally, Dr. RC Sproul took the lead and began the project. At that time, RC Sproul was working closely with Reformed Theological Seminary of which I was the president, and so I joined his board of executive committee. From there we worked very hard to get the right group of editors and then to enlist the groups of scholars internationally that could contribute to the project. And at last we had the best study bible in English language.

Written by Reporter Suh Jung-hwa, Translated by Rev. Andrew Pak, Joanna Pae

1. No Articles
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next
/ 7