Our Stories

‘The Best’ Recognizes ‘the Best’ 
U.S. Knox Theological Seminary awarded Honorary Doctorate in Divinity to Rev. Abraham Park

czOSFjMome7izbGncN.jpg

Knox Theological Seminary, prestigious theological seminary in the U.S. (located in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida) awarded honorary doctorate to Rev. Abraham Park, senior pastor of Pyungkang Cheil Presbyterian Church, on Sunday, October 21, 2012.
Knox Theological Seminary is world renowned for its conservative theology. Recently, the school made headlines when a prodigy theologian in his late twenties, who was well-known for attaining his doctorate only in two years at a prestigious seminary in England, chose a faculty position at Knox. That explains the great pride among the school’s students and faculty.
Prestigious universities in the U.S. are very strict in conferring honorary 
doctorates unlike Korean universities which tend to consider the degrees as a “cordial reception.” This is because elite educational institutions in the U.S consider the honorary doctorates as the greatest academic honor.
Members of 
faculty and the board of directors at Knox Theological Seminary are world-class scholars.
Yet, when the faculty meeting and board meeting was successively summoned to decide whether to confer the honorary doctorate to Rev. Park, it didn’t take long before they consented unanimously on the conferment.
The biggest reason for the approval was the History of Redemption series written by Rev. Park. Dr. Warren A. Gage, 
dean of faculty, was the first person in the seminary to encounter the History of Redemption series. He is confident in his extensive understanding and in-depth research in the Bible; but, after he read the English version of the History of Redemption series introduced to him through ‘such amazing Korean disciples he has never seen in his life’ (See True Peace July 2012 issue - ‘Peace Interview’ www.champyungan.com), he could not repress his astonishment and admiration. He introduced the series to his colleague professors. Every professor who is also an expert in his or her academic field unanimously agreed to award the honorary doctorate to the author.

QI2OzOIkUDfL7grtE.jpg

The conferment ceremony was held in Florida, U.S. Dr. Warren Gage stated in his congratulatory message, “Just as God trained Apostle Paul in Arabia for three years before He used him, God trained Rev. Abraham Park in Mt.
Jiri for three years in order to use him throughout the world,” and “I pray all false accusations that Rev.
Park suffered, as did many great workers of the gospel, will be resolved and the word of the History of Redemption series will be spread all over the world.”
Rev. Abraham Park said, “I believe this is the best gift that God has given to Pyungkang Cheil Church. My heart along with my entire body is burning. This is the best day of all, as well as the first day of the first month in my life.
I will never forget this day.” Dr. Luder Whitlock, Chairman of the Board, responded, “He says this is the best day of his life, but it is rather the best day of my life to be able to confer the degree to such a truthful servant of God whom He uses globally.” On the following day, he visited Rev. Park again and presented the New Geneva Bible, which had been kept by him as a family treasure. (See 
related article page 51)
A week later, Dr. Whitlock and Dr. Gage traveled to Seoul and visited
Pyungkang Cheil Church founded by Rev. Park to witness the very scene of God’s workings.
Major local media such as the Hankook Daily News, Dong-A Daily News, Yonhap News Agency, and Asia Economy Daily reported the news dated October 28th on Rev. Park’s attainment of the honorary doctorate from Knox Theological Seminary.

Written by Reporter Ho Jun-soek

RMhwjrGcCdiunt2PjaDUzjKL4.jpg

Knox Theological Seminary
Knox Theological Seminary is a globally renowned seminary and is among the top three conservative theological seminaries in the U.S., along with Westminster Theological Seminary and Reformed Theological Seminary. According to a survey by Christianity Today, an American Christian journal, the school scored highly in "Doctrinal Soundness." Today the school is acknowledged as one of the most bona fide reformed theological seminaries.

WElN7KpyQHQRu.jpg

Well known domestically for his book, “Why I believe,” James Kennedy is a world famous pastor who founded Evangelism Explosion International. He carried out Evangelism Explosion movements, which emphasize the training of church laypeople to share their faith, in more than 50 countries all over the world. Pastor Kennedy founded “Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church” starting with 45 persons in Miami, Florida, U.S. in 1959. He then expanded the church to a mega-church of 10,000 members through Evangelism Explosion. The church is now among the few most representative churches the U.S.
Later, Rev. Kennedy founded Knox Theological Seminary in 1898 to train future theologians and ministers. His goal was to realize his vision of reviving the Reformation in our time and changing the world through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Located in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, U.S., Knox Theological Seminary is well known for its world-famous theologians such as Dr. Bruce Waltke and Dr. Warren A. Gage.
As the current president and chairman of the board, Dr. Luder Whitlock is the very person who grew Reformed Theological Seminary into today’s prestigious seminary through his 23 years of presidency
from 1978 to 2001. He was also cited as one of five seminary presidents most influential on theological education during the last half of the 20th Century, by Christianity Today.
The seminary has a branch in Bethlehem, Israel, and is ranked first in 
online subscription.

STx4qmxt9zfuLgkcQ.jpg