181123.png

Man are wanderers who carry a heavy load. “Load” here means cargo, but it also means responsibility and accountability when doing important tasks. The bible tells us that after the fall of Adam, all descendants of Adam live with worries and concerns. In another words, all are living with heavy and frustrating burdens. Today’s scripture in Isa 1:14 says, “they have become a burden to me.” The sins of Israel, like our sins, became a heavy burden for God. Therefore, let us look at the sins of Israel that became a burden for God.

I. Sin of Rebellion.
Isa 1:2 states, “I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me.” Because God raised us like real children, our relationship with God is that of a parent and child. Thus, it is recorded in Ex 4:22-23, “This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son and I told you, ‘Let my son go, so he may worship me.'” Dt 14:2 further states, “for you are a people holy to the LORD your God.” Likewise, God made us His holy people and His firstborn, yet we do not realize this. Instead, we throw him aside and do whatever we want. This is the sin of man that is a heavy burden for God.

II. Sin of Ungratefulness.
Ungratefulness means not repaying for the grace received. In 2 Chr 26:16, King Uzziah of Judah forgot about God’s grace, became prideful and unfaithful to God, which led to his death from Leprosy. Even when King Hezekiah was prideful for a moment, was told by Prophet Isaiah that he will die in three days. He then repented and gained 15 additional years of life. Likewise, many people committed the sin of ungratefulness, and God said in Isa 1:3, “The ox knows his master, the donkey his owner’s manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.” Also, in Jer 8:7 it says, “Even the stork in the sky knows her appointed seasons, and the dove, the swift and the thrush observe the time of their migration. But my people do not know the requirements of the LORD.” Likewise, we must remember the words of Psalm’s author from Ps 116:12 which states, “How can I repay the LORD for all his goodness to me?” and take off the burden from God’s shoulder.

III. Sin of Idolatry
Idolatry means worshiping a visible image. According to the bible, it also means believing in oneself. In Isa 2:6, God rebuked Israelites for mingling with the Philistines and following their culture. All these things are signs of idolatry. Moreover, Apostle Paul says in 1 Cor 10:7 that eating, drinking and indulging in pagan revelry is idolatry. Christians rely on God and receive answer through prayer, but idol worshipers are slaves of their own desires, like an adulteress following another man (Isa 2:7-22).

IV. Hypocrisy
Pretending to believe in God is hypocrisy. Speaking of love when you hate someone is hypocrisy. Speaking of peace when you incite trouble is hypocrisy. Speaking of obedience while being stubborn and revolting is hypocrisy. Speaking of teachings while not carrying out those teachings is hypocrisy according to Prophet Isaiah. Thus, the Israelites were hypocritical people of “evil assemblies” (Isa 1:13).

V. Sin of murder
Murder is not only taking away someone’s life, but also hating one’s brother according to 1 Jn 3:12-15. Therefore, people who do evil, harass others, and hate others all commit the sin of murder. Isa 1:4 tells us that these people are a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption. This shows that the sins of the Israelites have become chronic and that it was deeply rooted.

Conclusion:
When seeing parents carrying heavy burdens, true children would try take it away from them. How can we then stand still when we know that God is carrying heavy burdens because of the sins we committed? Mt 11:28 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” When we believe in this Word and completely repent before God, the heavy burden God is carrying for us will disappear.

Original Text (Korean): http://www.pyungkang.com/logos_01/170653
Translation by Kim Yeon Hee (Orlando Green Hill Church, USA)

1. No Articles
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next
/ 19